Description Welcome

I've always been an experimentalist in the kitchen. Just ask my Mom. I loved to invent new recipes when I was younger. Though I flopped a lot I never lost that drive to tinker with flavors and food whilst creating my own signature versions. Now, I've added experience, photography and the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle to my repertoire and I'm excited to bring you my brand new adventures!Since I don't believe in sacrificing my taste buds for the sake of health here is where you're going to find the recipes I've scoured for (and more than likely tweaked) to be successes in that brutal criteria. I guarantee vibrant flavor and textures that will make you happy that you switched to REAL food.So please come on in! Grab a spoon and a mug before you cozy in at my kitchen table. We'll chat awhile about health and life and all the things we love while I serve you up some of my favorites!

Monday, October 20, 2014

Trim Healthy Mama Oatmeal Cups

 
Personally, I like oatmeal but I'm not a love it, gotta-have-it oatmeal girl. Never have been. I'm not into the mess of making oatmeal every morning either. It usually almost runs over for me or stick terribly on the bottom. And you probably guessed that I don't soak it either. Sorry Serene! I never seem to think about it.
 
Being a THM single and the only THMer in the house I am always trying to find recipe that will
work for all of us and still being yummy and on plan. I found some inspiration on Pinterest but I knew I would need to tweak it to fit THM plan. Well, I always like a culinary challenge. That is if I feel pretty confidant to achieve what I am setting out for. After a few runs with this recipe and a couple other tasters besides myself and my Mom, I think we've finally got it.

    The beauty of this recipe is that....okay there are several really beautiful things about this recipe honestly. There are no bubbling over pots and scrubbing the stove. They can be made up dozens in advance so they are so easy to pull out and reheat in a hurry.
 
Good for hubbies who are rushing out the door in the morning. Or for kiddos who need something quick before school in the morning. A fast snack too.  Or for Mommas who need to not think about breakfast for once. Just thaw and eat.

 
They are perfectly portioned and I take a couple hours to make dozens and then freeze them one afternoon. To me the prep time is worth it when I don't have to constantly be making dishes all time. As well my previously stated sentiments. Also they are an E breakfast. Now I don't mind my E meals but I am so often lured by all those indulgent S meals. So I love the idea of these tasty little gems helping me keep my waistline trim and my metabolism revved up. Mamas rejoice!
 
 
 
 Of course, you can customize this recipe to your own favorite flavors. I personally, am a very traditional maple & brown sugar gal. So that's what I went for here, with a hint of cinnamon. Sometimes these can get dry so I warm them in the microwave and then drizzle with homemade sugar free maple syrup.
p.s. you will also need this recipe to make the cups.

*My Maple Syrup Almost Recipe*
Trim Healthy Mama: FP

3 1/2 cups tap water
1 1/2 - 2 Tablespoons Watkins Maple flavoring (to taste) 
3/4 Teaspoon Stevia powder or to taste (This is the one I use and love)
2 Tablespoons Erythritol or Truvia or to taste
Dash or 2 of salt (about 1/8th of a teaspoon)

Boil those ingredients and taste test as you go til you get the right sweetness and enough maple flavor for your liking. Taste and add. Taste and add. Too much flavoring will make it taste like alcohol and too much Stevia will make it taste bitter. This is the combination that pleases my taste buds.

Okay, so once you've got a flavor you like, add just a sprinkle some Gluccomannan powder. Probably about 1/8 teaspoon. Whisk vigorously. It will still look like water. That's okay. Pour into jars or whatever container you are using once it comes to room temperature and refrigerate. Once it has completely cooled in fridge, it should thicken just slightly but still be able to drizzle. If it's too thick just add a little more water to thin. No big deal.
This will keep in the refrigerator about 3 weeks. If it starts smelling sour when you open it, it's sat too long. Make new.


*************************************************************

Back to the amazing oatmeal cup recipe now though.
So are you ready for this. No pre-cooking oats. No hot water packets and 2 hour later rumbly tummies in the mornings. Happy Hubby, kiddos, and mamas! Or college students. Or Nannies. The options are endless.


 
 
THM Baked Oatmeal Cups: E
 
3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1/2 cup maple "syrup" (recipe above)
12 packets of Stevia powder* (I use this plan approved Stevia)
20 packets (5 TBSP.) Truvia, homemade or name brand
1 teaspoon Watkins maple extract
1 cup liquid egg whites
1 - 1/2 cups vanilla unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 TBSP. cinnamon
(not a typo you need that much to help flavor the oats)
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 scoops Jay Robb Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
1/4 cup golden flax meal
3 TBSP. baking powder
5 cup old fashioned rolled oats

Directions:
Mix all ingredients in order given in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly to incorporate spices evenly. Scoop into muffin tins lined with paper muffin liners -optional to spray them with non-stick spray, not a have-to but helps with easy release so you don't waste any. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to fill each muffin tin. I usually mound mine slightly. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes then package in Ziploc plastic freezer bags. When ready to use just pull out the amount you need and microwave them til slightly warmed  or if you prefer to think ahead just leave them in the fridge overnight. Serve with either some of my THM maple syrup or a tall glass of almond milk or a steaming mug of coffee or tea. These are an E breakfast though, so just remember to watch that fat content!

This recipes makes 24 muffin cups.

Disclaimer *12 packests = 4 tsp. of powder however I cannot guarantee that amount for the recipe aside from the stated brand I use because Stevia varies so much from brand to brand and batch to batch. I buy a bulk stevia powder also and if I used 4 tsp. of that I would never even be able to eat it because it's very strong. The packets contain a fiber in them. So if you want to try the loose stevia powder you have in your cupboard I would recommend starting with 1 teaspoon and taste testing to build from there.

My Calculations for Nutritional Information:

Per Oatmeal Cup:

Calories: 57.3
Fat:       1.8 grams
Protein:   5.7 grams
Carbs:    14

Disclaimer: I do not get any financial kickback for linking to my favorite products. I am just sharing these with you because these are the brands I love and use on a daily basis.


5 comments:

  1. I am curious about the 12 packets of stevia. What is an equivalent measurement for that? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo!

      Unfortunately, I have never actually measured them out and each stevia brand can be more of less intense in sweetness. My suggestion would be to measure out the 12 packets once and see what the equivalent is and then you can use that each time for loose stevia instead.

      Delete
  2. Hoping someone posts the measurement for both the Whey powder scoop and the stevia packets. I don't want to purchase those products just to measure them, but do want to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle I will try to make these again soon and get the measurements for you. They are really yummy and I don't want you to miss out. Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. It's been a busy season over here and I don't get the opportunity to check my blog as much as I used to.
      Thank you,
      Maiden Princess

      Delete
    2. Hi Michelle,
      I just made this recipe again today and I measured out the Stevia and it came to 4 tsp. of powder. However, since stevia varies so much from brand to batch I cannot guarantee results with any other brand of Stevia. I hope this helps.
      Have a fantastic Friday`
      Maiden Princess

      Delete

"Let no corrupt speech proceed out of your mouth, but such as is good for edifying as the need may be, that it may give grace to them that hear." Ephesians 4:29

"Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." (Colossians 4:6 ESV)


I'd love to hear from my readers, however, any comments that do not follow the above template will promptly be deleted. Thank you and have a lovely day.

Maiden Princess