Description Welcome

I've always been an experimentalist in the kitchen. Just ask my Mom. I loved to invent new recipes when I was younger. Though I flopped a lot I never lost that drive to tinker with flavors and food whilst creating my own signature versions. Now, I've added experience, photography and the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle to my repertoire and I'm excited to bring you my brand new adventures!Since I don't believe in sacrificing my taste buds for the sake of health here is where you're going to find the recipes I've scoured for (and more than likely tweaked) to be successes in that brutal criteria. I guarantee vibrant flavor and textures that will make you happy that you switched to REAL food.So please come on in! Grab a spoon and a mug before you cozy in at my kitchen table. We'll chat awhile about health and life and all the things we love while I serve you up some of my favorites!

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Creative in the Kitchen: Molasses Spice Cookies

As you know, I'm a foodie photographer. :)  I love to capture the textures and beauty of real food in the making. I love food. At every stage. I lick spoons. I use my fingers. I love swirls and drips ....


and granules glistening in afternoon sunlight.....
 
 


                                                                      I love crackles...




 
 
and crumbs......




 
and molasses cookies....
 
 
I used to go down the cookie aisle in the supermarket and just melt when I looked at the box of those flower shaped, sweet and subtly spicy Archway Molasses cookies. For a girl, an old fashioned cookie like that wasn't supposed to be on your mind. You were supposed to be running to the Oreo's or iced Animal Crackers, if you were conservative. Not me. Those brown, sugar-coated, boxed up little goodies are what caught my fancy.
 A few weeks ago when I ran across this recipe that is THM friendly, I just knew it was time to try and see if I couldn't make my childhood sighs of delight come alive again.  However, I must warn you that this recipe turned out a bit too spicy for my liking and they aren't soft and gooey like Archway's. I also noted that they tended to be more of a crumb and shortbread texture than ones made with regular all purpose flour, though they still tasted mighty good. My Mom loves them (she say they are even better frozen!) and even our dog who has tasted tiny snippets is a fan. :)  When I make them again I will be careful not to over bake (read: take them out while still looking a little undercooked) and perhaps add a little more butter to the recipe and cut down on the spices. (Note: I used Homemade Truvia Brown Sugar for recipe and I rolled them in just straight Truvia granules right out of the packet or jar.)
Yet, overall, this recipe creates a beautiful and yummy cookie, perfectly suited for a cup of coffee and a brisk day. The complexity of the spices with the robust molasses are a perfect compliment for a chilly spring wind-in-your-face kind of day, or an old fashioned tea time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Let no corrupt speech proceed out of your mouth, but such as is good for edifying as the need may be, that it may give grace to them that hear." Ephesians 4:29

"Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." (Colossians 4:6 ESV)


I'd love to hear from my readers, however, any comments that do not follow the above template will promptly be deleted. Thank you and have a lovely day.

Maiden Princess